Wednesday, October 19, 2011

#21 Someone you judged by their first impression

Let's call her C.

She was one of the classmates that I got to know on exchange. After having gone through a number of 崇洋媚外 experiences with the local students, I thought that she was just another one of them after seeing how quickly she'd warmed up to another new exchange student who is an ang moh. C proved me very wrong, and I was quite ashamed of myself later for judging someone based on a very brief first encounter.

I later learnt that she was my next-door neighbour in hall while making dinner one evening; we ended up talking for a whole 15 minutes in the pantry. C shared with me some of her experiences in the immersion programme that she'd been through in England that night, and introduced me to her room-mate too. Two nights later, she brought me and 2 of my other exchange friends for a grand 大排档 feast that included some delicious roast pigeons. That was my first pigeon experience and it was quite a yummy one.

We haven't been meeting that regularly ever since she had to go for her teaching practice, but on the day that we did have a chance to bump into each other, C pinned a bag of crisps on my door and left a post-it note with well-wishes, knowing that I would be heading back to Singapore soon. 
How much nicer can a person get!

From C, I learnt that judgments based on first impressions don't usually count. It's much easier for me to say it than do it though, guess I'll just have to keep reminding myself.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...